Namsangol Hanok Village is a traditional Korean village that features Korean houses and pavilions, a beautiful small pond, and an interesting time capsule. This area is one of the most beautiful and scenic locations in all of Seoul.
A summer resort known as Jeonghakdong was once located here. The resort was also known as Cheonghak-dong for the blue cranes (cheonghak) that were said to have flown in the area.
When this area was built, much effort went into making it as original as possible. Five authentic hanok, or traditional Korean houses, that were located in separate villages across the city were moved here. These homes belonged to commoners and powerful bureaucrats. Furniture and everyday items have found inside these hanok reflect the status of the people who lived inside these homes at the time.
The original shape of the land and terrain was resorted along with other buildings and the pond. Native trees and other plants were planted and the natural flow of water was reestablished, as it was in the ancient days.
Pavilions that once stood here have been restored and are a great example of the charming and blissful life of the people who once lived here. These people lived life in harmony with nature and often wrote poems, played games, and painted.
To the south of the village is The Seoul Millennium Time Capsule. It contains over 600 artifacts representing Seoul and its citizens. It is scheduled to be opened on November 29, 2394.
This house was built by Yi Seungeop, who was a master carpenter who also worked on rebuilding and restoring Gyeongbokgung Palace in 1867. The house was originally located at 36-2 Samgak-dong, Jung-gu in central Seoul near Cheonggyecheon Stream.
Read more about Carpenter Yi Seungeop's House In Samgak-dong
Gim Chunyeong's House, originally located at 125-1, Samcheong-dong, Jongno-gu in northern Seoul, was built by Gim Chunyeong for his family around 1890. The Gim family continuously used this house over the years. The last person to live here was Gim Honggi, the grandson of Gim Chunyeong.
Read more about Gim Chunyeong's House in Samcheong-dong
Min Family's House, once owned by Min Yeonghwi (1852-1935), built this house along with several other structures for his family and other relatives. Min built the structures on a vast open lot just east of Insadong at 30-1 Gwanhun-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul.
Read more about Min Family's House In Gwanhun-dong
This building is a replica of Yun Family's House built around 1910 at 47-133, Ogin-dong which is located in northwest Seoul west of Gyeongbokgung Palace. Yun Deokyeong, who owned the land at the time, was an uncle of Empress Sunjeonghyo, the wife of Emperor Sunjong.
Read more about Yun Familys House In Ogin-dong
This house is believed to have been built in 1906 by Haepung Buwongun Yun Taekyeong after his daughter, Empress Sunjeong, became Crown Princess. Yun Taekyeong was the father-in-law of Sunjong or Emperor Yunghui, the final Emperor of Korea.
Read more about Yun Taekyeong's Jaesil In Jegi-dong
Directions To Namsangol Hanok Village
Take Subway Line 3 or Line 4 to Chungmuro Station (Exit 4).
Continue on Hanongmaeul-gil Street for 5 minutes.
April-October : 9:00-21:00
November-March : 9:00-20:00
Closed on Tuesdays