Ujeongchongguk (Central Post Office) was established as the first post office of Korea on April 22, 1884 during the reign of King Gojong. Postal service began on November 18, 1884. It was the first modern postal service. Service was suspended during the Gapsin Coup on December 4, 1884. Service was resumed on July 22, 1895.
In 1904, a patriotic organization known as Boanhoe held a massive anti-Japan rally at this location.
In October 1970, Ujeongchongguk was recognized as Historical Site Number 213. It is one of the oldest non palace buildings in Seoul.
The post office was reopened for service on August 28, 2012. It has since become a symbol of Korean patriotism during the occupation and as a historic piece of Korean postal history.
The building was used as a school during the occupation of Korea. After the occupation, the building was not used as it was considered a former Japanese building. It faced demolition but was saved by the Ministry of Post and Communication. They purchased the building in 1956.
HoursDaily : 9:00-18:00
Closed on January 1, Lunar New Year, and Chuseok
Take Subway Line 3 to Anguk Station (Exit 6).
Continue for 120 meters.
When you reach Ujeongguk-ro (just past the black sculpture on the corner), cross the street and turn left.
Continue for another 120 meters to reach the destination on the right.