The Bank of Korea Museum displays various currencies from Korea and from around the world that date all the way back to ancient times up until present day. Construction on the building started in November, 1907 and was completed in January, 1912.
The museum was designed by Japanese architect Tatsuno Kingo, who also designed Tokyo Station in Japan. The design takes inspiration from French Renaissance chateau using concrete and steel with the outer walls made of granite.
During the Japanese occupation, the building became the headquarters of the Bank of Chosen. After liberation, the Bank of Korea was established and operated in this building from June 12, 1950 until December, 2000.
From May, 1956 to October, 1958, the structure was repaired to do major damage caused during the Korean War. More renovations were done between 1987 and 1989 which restored the roof and facade to its original design and look.
The museum opened on June 13, 2001 in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Bank of Korea.
On the first floor, exhibits include information about the museum and building, the life of currency, money and the national economy, gallery of currency, and a coin gallery.
On the middle floor, exhibits include gold as money, currency handling equipment, and donated currencies.
The top floor has a replica vault, currencies from around the world, a learning area with play money, a room for special exhibitions, and a gallery.