This house is believed to have been built in 1906 by Haepung Buwongun Yun Taekyeong after his daughter, Empress Sunjeong, became Crown Princess. Yun Taekyeong was the father-in-law of Sunjong or Emperor Yunghui, the final Emperor of Korea.
The house was originally located at 224, Jegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu in northeast Seoul. The structure was moved to the Namsangol Hanok Village in 1998 when the village was established.
Yun Taekyeong built the structure not only as a house but as a shrine for himself and his daughter Lady Yun of Haepyeong, who became Empress Sunjeong a year later in 1907. The house was used for ancestral worship rituals known as Jesa.
The sadang (shrine) was destroyed in 1960 and was not rebuilt until the house was moved in 1998. The new sadang is located at the innermost past of the house on the highest ground.
On lower grounds, south of the sadang is the main building which consists of the anchae (inner quarters) and the sarangchae (outer quarters). Connected to the main building is the haengnangchae (servants quarters). The construction of the building is symmetrical which allowed for equal space for men and women. At the center is a courtyard that leads to the daecheong (wood floored main hall).
Many interesting architectural designs, details, and decorations are visible on the walls, doors, windows, and wood.