Noandang Hall served as the men’s residence at Unhyeongung. Here, Yi Haeung, or Heungseon Daewongun, read, wrote, painted, rested, and met with guests. The word Noan means old man who is comfortable and at ease. Men felt relaxed and at ease while in this building.
Construction on Noandang, along with Norakdang Hall, was completed in 1864 during the first year of the reign of King Gojong. Gojong was the twenty sixth and last king of the Joseon Dynasty and also the first emperor of Korea.
The building features a traditional Korean tile roof. There are six rooms in the front and three rooms on the side. Beams attached to the edge of the roof functioned as awnings. This feature shows architecture styles in the 19th century.
The hall was important for other activities other than leisure. Heungseon Daewongun, whose son was the emperor, handled business and political matters from this location.
During his free time, Heungseon Daewongun would paint here. He mostly enjoyed painting scenes of orchids.
Cheonhajangan was the right hand man and bodyguard of Heungseon Daewongun while he stayed at the hall. His duties included security and collecting information about political enemies.
The original tablet that hung here is now on display at the Seoul Museum of History.
Nearby is an exhibition hall with relics from the life of Heungseon Daewongun.