Irodang Hall was the main building of the palace and the exclusive residence for women. The wife of Yi Haeung, or Heungseon Daewongun, lived here. He ran the day to day affairs of the royal residence from this location.
Construction on Irodang was completed in 1869. It was built as the house of Heungseon Daewongun and his wife after the marriage of King Gojong and Empress Myeongseong (Queen Min).
The structure features eight rooms in the front and seven rooms in the side.
The shape of the hall along with its tall steps kept intruders out along with men who were strictly forbidden from entering.
An old well can be found outside of the building just across the open yard. A path with rock structures that resembles various animals leads to nearby Norakdang, another residence for women.