Yeongjegyo Bridge with two stone arches, is located just north of Heungnyemun Gate.
From 1926 to 1996, the Japanese General Government Building stood at this location. The building was the seat of the Governor-General of Korea who administered Korea under Japanese imperial rule. The building was demolished between 1995 and 1996.
The stream that runs underneath the bridge is known as Geumcheon. All Joseon royal residences had similar streams and bridges which symbolized purifying oneself before entering.
During meetings with the king, court officials used this location as a boundary to separate themselves from the king. The king would stand on one side of the bridge while his court officials would stand on the other side.
This area was considered a sacred space for the king with no other facilities nearby.