Sujeongjeon Hall was used as a sleeping quarter of the king and as a cabinet office during the Reform Movement of 1894.
Originally, the hall located here was known as Jiphyeonjeon or Hall of Worthies. The hall was built by King Sejong during his reign from 1418 to 1450.
It was here where Sejong developed the Korean Hangul writing system along with many other scholarly achievements. This period was known as the golden age of Korea.
Sujeongjeon Hall was rebuilt in 1867 during the reign of King Gojong (1863-1907). The hall was rebuilt at the same time as the restoration of Gyeongbokgung Palace. It was at this time when the name of the hall was changed to Sujeongjeon.
During his reign, Gojong used this Sujeongjeon Hall as his sleeping and residential quarters.
A double stone platform seen in front of the building was built out of respect for the king.