Hyangwonjeong Pavilion is a two story hexagonal pavilion built on a small island in the middle of a lake on the northern grounds of Gyeongbokgung Palace.
The beautiful pavilion was built on an artificial island in the middle of Hyangwonji pond by King Gojong during the 10th year of his reign in 1873. This was the same time Geoncheonggung Residence was being built.
The bridge, which allows private access to the island, is known as Chwihyanggyo Bridge. The original bridge was located on the opposite side of the island and was constructed only of wood. At the time, it was one of the longest wooden bridges.
During the Korean War, the bridge was destroyed. In 1953, Chwihyanggyo was rebuilt and moved to its current location as seen today.