Geoncheonggung Residence was built by King Gojong for the purpose of being politically independent of his father, Heungseon Daewongun.
The residence was constructed in 1873, five years after Gyeongbokgung Palace was built.
Geoncheonggung included quarters with several bedrooms for the king and queen. Gojong enjoyed spending much of his time here with his queen, Empress Myeongseong.
Jangandang Hall was where the king resided while Gonnyeonghap Hall was the residence of the queen. A library was built behind Jangandang Hall.
Empress Myeongseong was assassinated at the residence inside Okhoru Pavilion on October 8, 1895. She was killed by the Japanese as they considered her an obstacle in the expansion of their empire. After the assassination, Gojong left and never returned to the building that he once occupied since 1888.
In 1909, the Japanese government, who occupied Korea at the time, demolished this area.
In 2007, after years of restoration and renovations, the area reopened with its former design.