Junmyeongdang Hall was where King Gojong handled palace and state affairs during his reign. He also welcomed honored guests and foreign officials here. The original structure, along with Jeukjodang, was destroyed by fire in 1904. The hall was rebuilt later that same year.
In 1917, Emperor Gwangmu established the Deoksu Palace Kindergarten here for his daughter Princess Deokhye. Young girls from noble families attended the kindergarten at the palace.
After Gojong’s death in 1919, portraits of himself and Sunjong were enshrined in the hall.
Junmyeongdang Hall is connected to Jeukjodang Hall by a narrow corridor.