Junghwajeon Hall is the main throne hall at Deoksugung Palace. Jeukjodang Hall originally served as the throne hall until Junghwajeon was built to the south. When the hall was built in 1902 it featured a two tiered roof. In 1904, it was damaged by a fire. It was rebuilt two years later with a single level roof as seen today.
Inside the building is a painting called Irwoloakdo. It features the sun, moon, and five mountains. This painting symbolizes the wish of the Korean people for their emperor to be prosperous forever. Dragons seen on the roof symbolize total authority of the emperor.
The haenggak outside of the hall was also rebuilt. A haenggak is a small roofed structure that served as storage or for shelter for works at the palace. Only part of the haenggak remains today.
The two tiered stone terrace located outside of the building is known as a woldae. This feature is common of traditional royal residence architecture and can also be seen at Jongmyo Shrine.
The courtyard served as the location of state ceremonies. Marker stones indicate where officials would stand based by rank. More important officials of high ranking stood closest to the king.
This hall, along with Junghwajeon Gate, is one of the last structures built during the Joseon Dynasty.