Tongmyeongjeon Hall, next to Yanghwadang Hall, served as the residential quarters for the king and queen at Changgyeonggung Palace. It was built in 1484. The building has been destroyed and rebuilt many times over the years, most recently in 1833.
Surrounding the hall is a woldae, or an elevated stone terrace. This feature is similar to those of important buildings such as Jeongjeon Hall and Yeongnyeongjeon Hall (Hall of Eternal Peace) at Jongmyo Shrine.
The center section of the hall is composed of a wooden floor with an ondol, or heated floor, on both sides of the center.