Sungmundang Hall was used for banquets and conferences. It was here where the king would discuss state affairs with officials and literature with scholars. It is believed that the hall was first built around 1616 under the rule of King Gwanghaegun, who ruled from 1608 to 1623.
In 1830, the building was destroyed by a fire. It was rebuilt later that same year.
The building name plaque written by King Yeongjo over 300 years ago still remains to this day.