Myeongjeongjeon Hall is the main hall of Changgyeonggung Palace. Rebuilt in 1616, it is now the oldest remaining main hall of all the palaces in Seoul. It was originally built in 1484 during the reign of King Seongjong. The modest one story structure is built upon a two tiered woldae, or elevated stone yard This is a common feature of other royal residences.
Wide and flat rectangular stones can be found in the courtyard in front of the building. At the center of the courtyard is a three level walkway that adds dignity to the hall. The center walkway was used solely by the king.
Grand feasts of food and ceremonies were often held in the courtyard for the mothers and grandmothers of the king.
Enclosing the courtyard is Myeongjeongjeon Gate. The area surrounding the gate, known as a haenggak, or roofed wall, was used during funeral preparations by royal guards.