Gyeongchunjeon Hall, next to Hwangyeongjeon, was the sleeping residence of the wife of the deceased king at Changgyeonggung Palace. It was also here where multiple Joseon kings were born.
The building was originally built in 1483 during the reign of King Seongjong. He was the 9th Joseon Dynasty king and ruled from 1469 until 1494.
The pavilion was destroyed by the Japanese invasion in 1592, rebuilt in 1616, and then destroyed again by fire in 1830. The building seen today was built in 1834.
Gyeongchunjeon was also used for births. King Jeongjo, the 22nd king of the Joseon Dynasty was born here in October, 1752. King Heonjong, the 24th king of the Joseon Dynasty was born here in September, 1827.
King Jeongjo named this building “Birth Hall” and even wrote and hung a plaque himself and hung it above the entrance of the building.
King Jeongjo’s mother, Lady Hyegyeong, passed away here in January, 1816
Next to the hall was a haenggak, which was a small structure used for palace workers and for storage.