Seonwonjeon Hall was the location at Changdeokgung Palace where portraits of former kings were enshrined and where ancestral rites were performed. At a time, King Taejo, King Yeongjo, and King Jeongjo all had their portraits enshrined at here.
These portraits were destroyed during the Korean War (1950-1953).
The original building was moved to this site in 1656 from nearby Gyeongbokgung Palace. At the time, and until 1695, the building was known as Chunhuijeon.
During the Japanese occupation in 1921, a new hall was built inside the Huwon Secret Garden. Ancestral rites were now performed at this location.
The simple structure seen today was used for storage of courts valuables. Auxiliary buildings, Jinseolcheong and Naechaldang, which are located to the left and right of were restored in 2005.