Eosumun Gate leads to Juhamnu Pavilion, a two story pavilion that served as a library and reading room during the reign of King Jeongjo. The two story pavilion was first constructed in 1776 during the first year of the reign of King Jeongjo.
A royal library known as Gyujanggak was found on the first floor. Gyujanggak was not only used as a library but also as a political research institute for the king as he worked on his reform ideas. The second floor was used as a reading room.
Jeongjo was always under pressure from political foes while he held power. He worked hard to strengthen his mind and body and went on to become a great leader who enlightened and served his people to the best of his ability.
Eosumun Gate is a small gate that leads to Juhamnu Pavilion.
The name Eosumun refers to the fact that a fish cannot live outside of water. This was a reminder to King Jeongjo that he as a ruler must consider and respect the people he rules.