Gwanghuimun Gate, literally meaning “Bright Light Gate,” is one of eight gates found on the fortress wall that surrounds the city of Seoul. Gwanghuimun is one of four small gates located along the southeast area of the fortress wall.
In 1396, a gate was built at this location, which was located in the southeastern corner of the walled city. At this time, which was during the reign of King Taejo, the gate was known as Sugumun but was more widely known as Namsomun.
Twice the gate was rebuilt. It was first rebuilt between 1711 and 1719 after being destroyed during the Imjin War, which occurred from 1592 to 1598. During the first rebuilding, the name plaque was hung. It was rebuilt once again in 1976 after being destroyed during the Korean War.
Today, Gwanghuimun is located about 15 meters (49 feet) south of its original location because of the construction of new roads in the area. Today, the gate is easily missed by tourists as it is located in the middle of the city surrounded by roads, subway stations, and buildings.
Visitors today can circle the surrounding area but are not allowed on or under the structure.