Geunjeongjeon Hall is the main throne hall of Gyeongbokgung Palace. Originally built in 1395, Geunjeongjeon is now the largest and most formal hall at the palace. The name translate to “all affairs will be properly managed if Your Majesty demonstrates diligence.”
Like many other buildings in Korea, the original hall was burnt down during the Japanese occupation in 1592.
The building seen today dates back to 1867, during the reconstruction of the palace. The building is constructed mostly of wood.
It was at this location where the king held meetings, handled state affairs, and held receptions for foreign visitors and dignitaries. Grand celebrations, such as coronation ceremonies of kings were also held here.
In front of the hall extends a grand courtyard with three footpaths running through the center. On these footpaths, there are two rows of markers which bear the rank of a court official.
Four times a month, civil and military officials would line up at their designated marker while the king sat on his throne inside the hall. The officials would sit on cushions made of different animal skins such as tiger or leopard. All officials would dress in full uniform, including the lowest ranking officials.