Gwanghwamun Gate (광화문)
Gyeongbokgung Palace is surrounded by 2,404 meters (7,887 feet) of palace walls. Along the palace wall are four gates. The four are Sinmumun, Geonchunmun, Yeongchumun, and Gwanghwamun (광화문). It is located in the south and is the main entrance into Gyeongbokgung Palace.
Construction began in 1395 and became one of the most important gates of the Joseon Dynasty, guarding the main palace. It consists of three entrances and a two story pavilion and at one time, was guarded by watchtowers.
In 1592, it was destroyed by the Japanese during the Imjin War. In 1867, almost 250 years later, it was reconstructed along with Gyeongbokgung.
In 1926, the Japanese government, which ruled Korea during this period, moved Gwanghwamun near the location of the present day National Folk Museum of Korea, to make room for the Japanese Governor General Building.
During the Korean War, the wooden gatehouse was destroyed once again. It was rebuilt using concrete and remained this way until 2006.
In August 2010, work began to restore it to its original wooden specifications while paying close attention to historical accuracy and location. On August 15, 2010, restoration was completed at a cost of 28 billion won ($24 million).
Gwanghwamun consists of three entrances and a two story pavilion. At one time, the gate was guarded by watchtowers.
Directions And Getting There
Gwanghwamun is located at the entrance to Gyeongbokgung.
The gate is free to view and walk through. The palace requires a ticket to enter.
GPS Coordinates (Longitude and Latitude) : 37.576068, 126.976955.